SBHPP is a business unit of Sumitomo Bakelite Co.,Ltd and is a global leader in the high performance plastics solutions and support.
Phenolic technology is the foundation of our business through history for over 100 years.
Among the various plastics, phenolic resin has the oldest history. It was developed by Dr. Leo H. Baekeland, an American of Belgian ancestry, in 1907 and he named that synthetic resin "Bakelite". In 1911, Sankyo Company (currently Daiichi Sankyo Co., Ltd.) was assigned the rights to execute the patents in Japan through the good offices of Dr. Jokichi Takamine, a close friend of Dr. Baekeland. Trial production of phenolic resin was started at the Shinagawa Plant of Sankyo Company. That was the origin of the Japan's plastics industry, and the name of our company came from this achievement.
In 1932, phenolic resin business of Sankyo Co., Ltd. was separated and formed Nippon Bakelite Co., Ltd. In 1955, Nippon Bakelite Co., Ltd. merged with Sumitomo Synthetic Resin Industries, Ltd. to found Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. As a pioneer in plastics, with our expertise in and up-to-date facilities for plastics, we have been always developing new technologies for use in various fields in order to contribute to establishing safe and comfortable living.
History of SBHPP
- Established SBHPP name for the High Performance Plastics business unit of Sumitomo Bakelite Co,Ltd.
Established SBE India Private Limited.
- Integrated Fundamental Research Laboratory and Kobe Fundamental Research Laboratory into Advanced Technologies R&D Laboratory.
- Artlite Kogyo Co., Ltd. was closed. Production was transferred to Shizuoka plant.
Tsu Plant was closed. Production was transferred to Shizuoka plant.
- Sunbake Co., Ltd., an affiliate became a subsidiary of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.
- Established Sumitomo Bakelite (Nantong) Co., Ltd. in China.
SNC Industrial Laminates Sdn. Bhd. became a wholly owned subsidiary of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.
Acquired Neopreg AG in Switzerland.
- Acquired Vyncolit N.V. in Belgium and Vyncolit North America , Inc. in USA from Perstorp AB of Sweden.
- Acquired Fers Resins, S.A. and its subsidiaries (Fers Group) in Spain.
- Acquired DUREZ phenolic resin related business of Occidental Chemical Corporation in North America and Belgium.
Sumitomo Durez Co., Ltd. was merged into Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.
Established Sumitomo Bakelite Macau Co., Ltd.
- Founding of Basec Hong Kong Limited.
- Sumitomo Bakelite (Suzhou) Co., Ltd. was established in China.
- SFC Co., Ltd. and other subsidiaries in Akita area were merged to form Akita Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.
- Kobe Fundamental Research Laboratory was opened.
- SNC Industrial Laminates Sdn. Bhd. was established in Malaysia as a joint venture company with CMK Corporation.
- Kawasaki Plant was closed.
- Mukojima Plant was closed.
- Established CMK Singapore Pte. Ltd. as a joint venture company with Chuo Meiban Kogyo Co., Ltd. (currently CMK Corporation) of Japan.
- Established Akita Bakelite Co., Ltd. (currently Akita Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.)
- Started mass-production of DAP (Diallylphthalate) molding compounds.
- Established Sumitomo Durez Co., Ltd. in Japan as a joint venture company with Hooker Chemical Corporation of USA.
- Central Research Laboratory (currently Fundamental Research Laboratory) was opened.
Shizuoka Plant was opened. Developed epoxy copper-clad laminates, “SUMILITE” ELC.
- Started manufacture of phenolic copper-clad laminates, “SUMILITE” PLC with domestic made copper foil.
- Kawasaki Plant was opened.
- Nippon Bakelite Co., Ltd. and Sumitomo Synthetic Resin Industries, Ltd. merged to form “Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.”.